Serguei Ostrovskii on Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:27:45 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: Anybody backported USB support to 2.2.16-3?

<snip>

> It contains the mappings for the static addresses in the kernel and is
> primarily used by klogd and ksymoops for tracing oopses.
>
> Read man klogd and /usr/src/linux/oops-tracing.txt

Thanks for explanation, I should read man klogd tonight.
I guess it configured by default to look for System.map in /boot.

> Mike's warning came from the fact that klogd wasn't happy about
> System.map being the wrong version, so copying fixes that.
> It isn't strictly necessary to run your system, but why wouldn't you
> do it?

Well, that's why I am not with WinXX anymore.
I like to understand what I am doing and where things go.
If interested, might check www.linuxfromscratch.org - it's a good start.

Thanks again.

Sergey Ostrovsky.