Michael Leone on Tue, 12 Dec 2000 12:47:50 -0500

Re: [PLUG] USB sony spressa CDR

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph B. Welsh" <JWelsh@ConsecoDirect.com>
To: <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2000 11:51 AM
Subject: [PLUG] USB sony spressa CDR

> After reading the USB thread recently I decided to see if I could get
> my cdr USB burner to work with my notebook
>
> I first went to www.linux-usb.org and found my device was supported
>
> So I went and got 2.2.18 complied and  got everything that works normally
> with my compaq armada to work (sound, pcmcia)
>
> I get all kinds of info in the message log about finding the usb system
and
> usb mass storages systems seems to load ok but I can't figure how to
access
> the cd

Yeah, there are a crapload of messages that show up, aren't there? :-)

According to the web page, you need to ALSO compile in SCSI support, since
the USB mass storage driver (appartently) just masquerades a USB device as
standard SCSI.

"Since the mass storage driver presents the USB device as a SCSI device, you
need to turn on SCSI support, which is under SCSI support in the
configuration script. You should also turn on subordinate options as
appropriate to your mass storage device - usually one or more of SCSI disk
support, SCSI tape support, SCSI CD-ROM (this would be you) support and SCSI
generic support"

Then, after compiling SCSI support in, you make a mount point (just mkdir
/mnt/cdrw or some such), and then put a mount command into /etc/fstab:

/dev/scd0    /mnt/cdrw    iso9660         ro,noauto,user 0   0

Note that the actual device (/dev/scd0) may be different for you; my (SCSI)
CD-RW shows up as /dev/sr0.

You should then just be able to "mount /mnt/cdrw" - and see the CD disk in
there.

Writing to it is a different matter. :-)