Anderson, Tim TL33E on Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:47:47 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Should I study Linux or NT first?

>If you are looking for a job, any job, then it doesn't matter which you
>study - NT or Linux. If you are looking  for a Unix job, then don't bother
>studying NT, and vice versa. And if you want to write programs, neither is
>relevant, unless you are going to work for a vendor and write OS code.

I wouldn't put it quite as flatly as that.  I think *nix experience is more
valuable than NT, because you go closer to the heart of the OS.  All the
basic underlying concepts are the same.  If you move from *nix to NT, you'll
not have to learn too much extra and will have a better knowledge of what
all those button clicks are really doing.  Conversely, going the other way
will be a lot harder.   My advice would be to sit down with Linux and learn
about operating systems.  Then play with Windows, try to think about what
it's doing behind the scenes and how you'd do that in Linux.
Writing non-trivial programs does require knowledge of the OS, although that
statement probably applies more to a Windows programmer (GPFs, DLL hell,
'Windows Updates' to deal with).   I'm a developer - and I find that the
more I learn about how the OS works, the more understanding I have in my
software design.   Good networking knowledge is equally important also,
there's a lot of distributed systems out there after all.

tka