Sean Cummins on Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:37:49 -0500

[PLUG] ppp question

Just thought I'd throw this out there --

Is there a way to set up a dialup Linux box so you can call it from a remote
location, have it recognize the call somehow (by a login or whatever),
disconnect, and have that Linux box call you back to establish a ppp
session?

Here's the situation:

Our CEO has a Linux router at his house, connected to an ISDN line on one
side, Ethernet on the other (his home LAN).  The ISDN side is set up to call
our office on demand to establish a ppp session (auto-dial ppp, whenever
they load internet explorer or whatever).  The problem is, there is no way
for us in the office to dial into *his* Linux router on demand.  We have to
call up someone at his house and tell them to load a web page, so the Linux
box dials up and connects, so we can then connect to his Linux box remotely.
This is a pain, because there are situations where we have to connect and
disconnect multiple times to test things -- so, we have to call them back up
every time we want them to reconnect.  This poses a problem, because CEO's
typically don't like to be bothered by this sort of thing.

I would assume that this would be similar to ppp setups where sales people
are on the road and want to avoid toll calls -- they call the office,
authenticate and disconnect, then the office calls them back to establish
the ppp session, so the charges are billed to the office.  I know I've done
this with NT before; I would assume Linux has the same capabilities.

Any ideas, or pointers to how I can get more info on this type of setup?

TIA,

- Sean

Sean R. Cummins                                 e-Vend.net Corporation
Manager of IT                                  (888) 427-8743 x209 tel
sean.cummins@e-vend.net                          http://www.e-vend.net

The information in this message (including attachments) is confidential.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
notified that you have received this document in error and that any
review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is
please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.