gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:47:27 -0500

[PLUG] Re: copying harddisks

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 08:09:31PM +0100, MaD dUCK wrote:
> just to confirm - if i have two identical harddisks, then having them
> both in a linux system, unmounted, and doing a
>
> dd if=/dev/hdb of=/dev/hdc

Should be fine, but I'm not positive dd respects partition maps (and
writes them back out properly), so test hdc before you do this:

> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb
>
> a couple of times would securely screw all data on there...

Erm... multiple times won't make much difference. Security deletes
are usually acheived the same way memory tests are: write over with
one pattern, then another pattern, then the first pattern again.

Just dd'ing /dev/zero really ought to be sufficient, though...

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net