MaD dUCK on Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:57:32 -0500

[PLUG] Re: copying harddisks

also sprach gabriel rosenkoetter (on Wed, 10 Jan 2001 02:35:42PM -0500):
> Should be fine, but I'm not positive dd respects partition maps (and
> writes them back out properly), so test hdc before you do this:

well, but wrt /dev/hdb, any partition table, mbr, whatever is just
bytes. so it shouldn't matter. but no worries, i would have tested hdc
before.

> > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb
> > a couple of times would securely screw all data on there...
>
> Erm... multiple times won't make much difference. Security deletes
> are usually acheived the same way memory tests are: write over with
> one pattern, then another pattern, then the first pattern again.

you are right. i always thought that the analog circuitry/magnetics,
virtually speaking, were only able to change from 1.0 to 0.1 if you
wrote 0.0 (this is in pure bit terms, excuse me for the metaphorical
use of floats), and only that repeated writing of zero would get it
there. but alternating ones and zeros makes sooo much more sense...
stupid me.

> Just dd'ing /dev/zero really ought to be sufficient, though...

sure, i don't have any important shit anyway :)

thx,
martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--
may the bluebird of happiness twiddle your bits.