MaD dUCK on Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:47:15 -0500

[PLUG] Re: copying harddisks

also sprach Tom Stepleton (on Wed, 10 Jan 2001 03:35:53PM -0500):
> one worry, however: once, when the sccs had its four old sparcstation
> ELCs, I thought I'd save time by only installing linux on one and then
> "ghosting" the contents of its drives onto the others with dd. Even though
> one or two of the disks for the three other ELCs were identical to the
> first one, subsequent attempts to mount the volumes on those drives
> failed. The partition tables just weren't right, or so it seemed. Is
> this something you need to worry about?

well, not for this task. but yes, i would like to find an easy way to
employ non-commercial software for ghosting of workstations. or i'll
go insane reinstalling 8-10 workstations for the training sessions
next summer each week.

> Finally, might it be worthwhile to increase dd's block size with bs= , so
> that the task is done in fewer reads and writes?

would have done that anyway ... thanks tho'

> > may the bluebird of happiness twiddle your bits.
>
> YOW!

you're welcome.

martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--
all of you that believe in telekinetics, raise my hand!