Inkdog.com Staff on Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:40:26 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] Linux on Laptops... HELP

Hi list..

I got a Dell Latitude XPi with no CD Rom...

It was hard enough to get the OS on there.. I had to download a 650mb image
from a FTP site onto a windows partition... then run a standard boot install
in expert mode.

My question is this...

I have a port repilcator or a docking station (same item different name) and
I cant get RedHat 6.2 to see it.  I need the ethernet to transfer stuff and
so on... I could take the files I need out by floppy disk.. but I would
perfer the ethernet.

So... I did a series of searchs online and came up with this info..

http://pw1.netcom.com/~d348/dell.html

This person has the EXACT same make and model as I.. but my kernel is much
knewer... and alot of the options he is referring to in his config on the
page are simply not in my kernel.

http://www.europe.redhat.com/documentation/HOWTO/Laptop-HOWTO-6.php3

This is the redhat offical speil about docking staitions or port
repilcator.. and its pretty unclear to me anyway... what he is saying here..
I think the number of the section with the pertient information is 6.3

So... can I get a PCMCIA card that will work with this thing?  Or can I make
the current setup I have work?

Basically I am not sure how to make it so the TCP IP signals go from my HD
to the Port Repilcator.  Or for that matter from a standard Linux box to a
standard linux network card.
I admit it... I may have been staring at the answer but I cant understand it
because.. I cant :)

But I need this for school... and I need a workable answer fast.   Please
feel free to contact me off list..

Thanks all

Anthony