gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 23 Jan 2001 00:57:21 -0500

Re: [SLE] Re: [PLUG] ssh rsa authentication troubles

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 12:42:33AM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 11:29:22PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> > (I had no Protocol setting, I forced it to 2, and saw your trouble.)
>
> FWIW, I have problems with OpenSSH at work, where they use SSH2.  I simply
> can't connect.  I have to use the '-2' option in order to be able to log
> in to the development server.  Which makes for interesting work-arounds; I
> had to set CVS_RSH to 'bsh', and my ~/bin/bsh contains 'exec ssh -2 "$@"'.
>
> :-/
>
> And scp doesn't work *at all* (no -2 option)...

Try setting up a ~/.ssh/config with:

Host	<devel host>
	Protocol	2

Host	*
	Protocol	2,1

... where <devel host> is an IP address, a hostname, or either with
* wild cards in it (be careful how wild you get get with the wild
cards, though).

I'd also strongly recommending setting values for ForwardX11 and
ForwardAgent to no in the default (Host	*), and yes to hosts you are
sure you trust enough to forward X11 to your local machine access
and access to your identity (scary! Evil servers CAN pretend to be
you!).

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net