gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:47:12 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Plugins and Mozilla

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 06:27:04AM -0500, Rupert Heesom wrote:
> I'm trying to find a good browser for Linux, currently try to use
> Netscape 4.72 & Galeon & Opera.
> None of them work particularly well.

Yeah, well, web browsers suck as a rule pretty much because the web
sucks as a rule...

I like lynx. But I'm guessing you wouldn't.

> I haven't tried Mozilla yet, partly because I didn't know how
> different it would be from Netscape Communicator itself.

Well, it lacks https support, for one thing. (Er, maybe only until
0.7... I think they may link against OpenSSL if you've got it these
days. But I haven't tried. I just use Netscape 4.foo when I must
have an SSL-enabled browser.)

In general Mozilla (as released) is more bloated than NS, or at
least it was the last time I checked, but it's nice in that you can
roll your own version (and strip out the crap).

> Where does the Mxx version numbers come from (below M6 is supposed to be
> later than M18?).

Huh? M6 is hopefully pre-M18...

The Ms are "milestone" numbers... they're stable versions of the
source, or at least were when mozilla.org was more popular than it
seems to be these days. I'm not sure when they switched to 0.x
numbers, or if they even have.

Strikes me that the latest milestone might contain everything
available for Mozilla, while the latest 0.x might contain the
current standard "browser" version, but that's pure speculation.

> 2nd question...... I see RH6 RPMs for Mozilla available.   On the FTP
> server, there are stacks of RPM files, one for Mozilla 0.7, M17, M18,
> lots of developer files, and then some mail & psm files.
> Which are necessary for running Mozilla?  All, or just the main modules?

No clue. Using an RPM for Mozilla seems marginally contradictory to
the principle to me. (But, like I said, the only reason I even
theoretically like mozilla is that it's possible to strip out the
useless crap.)

> Also, which mailing lists are best to read for Mozilla?

Go poke around www.mozilla.org, as I recall they have a users
mailing list and a development mailing list, both of which are
probably good to monitor.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net