Rupert Heesom on Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:37:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Plugins and Mozilla

Mike:

I'm trying to find a good browser for Linux, currently try to use
Netscape 4.72 & Galeon & Opera.
None of them work particularly well.   I haven't tried Mozilla yet,
partly because I didn't know how different it would be from Netscape
Communicator itself.

I've just looked at the www.mozilla.org site, and it says there that the
latest version of Mozilla is 0.7.
Where does the Mxx version numbers come from (below M6 is supposed to be
later than M18?).

2nd question...... I see RH6 RPMs for Mozilla available.   On the FTP
server, there are stacks of RPM files, one for Mozilla 0.7, M17, M18,
lots of developer files, and then some mail & psm files.
Which are necessary for running Mozilla?  All, or just the main modules?

Also, which mailing lists are best to read for Mozilla?

On 26 Dec 2000 16:32:50 -0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> On 25 Dec 2000 12:43:57 -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 04:43:10PM -0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> > > Happy Holidays. y'all.
> > >
> > > Anybody using Mozilla yet? Specifically, with the RealPlayer plugins?
> >
> > I use mozilla, M18, now recently just upgraded to M.6.
> >
> > No luck yet with RealPlayer. But I have two odd problems as well,
> > maybe you got these to work:
> >
> > - can't get ssl to work (https: links). I'm using rh7.0 and openssl is
> > installed by rpm. I tried compiling and installing, but that didn't
> > change much. Maybe I just have to compile moz from scratch?
>
> I installed the PSM (Personal Security Manager), which provides SSL
> support, via binaries, by choosing "DEBUG", "Install PSM", from the
> Mozilla toolbar. Then SSL worked.
>

> > - I can't get it to recognize helper apps. I go to prefs/helpers and
> > enter things, but they don't "stick." I don't see them in the list,
> > and each time I download something of that type, I'm asked
> > again. E.g., pdf's should be opened by xpdf.
>
> Haven't gotten quite that far yet, myself.
>

> > I'm inclined to think moz just isn't mature enough. Although I use it
> > for all my non-ssl browsing now.

What do you use for SSL browsing?

regs
rupert heesom