Charles Stack on Sun, 4 Feb 2001 17:53:36 -0500

RE: [PLUG] upgrading kernel on RH 6.2

Thanks, I'll have to check this when I get to work tomorrow.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of MaD dUCK
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2001 5:52 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] upgrading kernel on RH 6.2

also sprach gabriel rosenkoetter (on Sun, 04 Feb 2001 05:43:56PM -0500):
> Hrm. Sound not working would be a *huge* deal for me, but...

yeah well, but that's only because you are addicted to that pinball
game (is there a url for it btw?)

> Anything that uses ioctls or sysctls to communicate with the kernel
> will need to be relinked against the same libc and system libraries
> as the new kernel. Applications that access audio devices and
> provide access to file systems *definitely* fall in this category,
> and you should see if you can't recompile the nfs programs and
> libraries from source (or find an RPM for your kernel version).

that's not entirely true with linux since kernels are always backwards
compatible. you might be able to gain something by relinking, but
everything works with a new kernel, even if compiled for an older one.

the problems experienced look to me more like outdated modutils and a
misconfiguration in the kernel of what to compile for nfs. or nfs is a
module, which would explain it all...

martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--