gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 4 Feb 2001 18:00:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] upgrading kernel on RH 6.2

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 05:51:51PM -0500, MaD dUCK wrote:
> yeah well, but that's only because you are addicted to that pinball
> game (is there a url for it btw?)

http://www.medialab.lostboys.nl/projects/madewith/pinball/pinballgame.html

Not so much because of that as because of the mp3 box I'm buying
parts for right now, though.

> that's not entirely true with linux since kernels are always backwards
> compatible. you might be able to gain something by relinking, but
> everything works with a new kernel, even if compiled for an older one.

Hrm. If you say so. I remember horrendous issues about what was
linked against which (g)libc back before I migrated.

My point wasn't backwards compatibility (almost every operating
system is capable of running software written for older versions of
itself), but changes made to some important library concurrent to the
new kernel, so that the kernel and the userland header file
disagree about the symbols in that library.

> the problems experienced look to me more like outdated modutils and a
> misconfiguration in the kernel of what to compile for nfs. or nfs is a
> module, which would explain it all...

I'd also forgotten how modular Linux had been made recently. File
systems as modules... good concept, I guess, but I'm not sure I
trust it.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net