Michael Leone on Mon, 5 Feb 2001 13:29:13 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Need Virus Information

> Earlier today there was a virus Windows virus warning on the list.
> Since I got the same file mentioned through egroups today, and I have a
> netaxs IP address, I thought maybe I somehow got infected and passed it to
> this list.
> But scan by Mcafee shows no viruses.  Just in case, does anyone have any
> info on this virus?

Sure your Mcafee is up to date?

I got that message today, too. And when I tried to save the attachment,
Norton told me

"Date: 2/5/01, Time: 9:48:00, Administrator on MJL
The file
C:\TEMP\joke.exe
is infected with the W95.Hybris.Gen.dr virus.
Access to the file was denied."

(You can look that virus up by name on McAfee or Symantec's site)

1. On Windows, ALWAYS run a virus checker.
2. If you use Outlook, set it to treat mail as it it's in the RESTRICTED
ZONE.

Then set the RESTRICTED ZONE to *NOT* run any scripts, etc. Disable
everything for that zone setting.

No HTML scripts execute without warning then, not even benign ones like the
TechWeb HTML newletters use.

Stops Melissa, I-Love-You, etc, in their tracks.