Beldon on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 15:40:38 -0500

Re: [PLUG] PLUG T-Shirts (Was LinuxWorld Expo)

On Sunday 11 February 2001 13:43, you wrote:
> also sprach Beldon (on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 12:00:38PM -0500):
> > I was thinking something like Tux flying a kite in a thunderstorm, or
signing
> > the Declaration of independance (pretty apt image there [no pun
intended]),
> > or something along those lines.
>
> well, not that i am a very active member of PLUG so far, but could we
> somehow please keep the politics out of this??? sure, i understand
> that philly doesn't have havana-smokin' cab-maniacs comparable to new
> york's, but i don't really see the big connection between politics and
> linux. but if you ask me, i couldn't really think of anything better.

It's really sad the way some people try to dismiss anything they don't like
as "politics".  I will submit to you that the reason Linux (and, in fact, all
open-source software) is better than its counterparts is because of the
philosophy (which you, incorrectly, label as "politics") behind it.  The idea
that openly sharing in such a way as to be sure everyone can potentially
benefit from everyone's work an be construed as a political ideology.  If
you're not comfortable with that, I can understand-- but you're missing the
whole point.

> so if we have tux sign the declaration of independence, could we
> somehow slip a microsoft on there? beldon correctly pointed out that
> linux can stand on its own two feet without the need to meet up to
> windows, but after all, linux is also independence from the redmond
> diletants...

The Linux kernel was created in direct response to the limitations of the
licensing model of Unix-- not Microsoft.  Even today, the fight is not
against any specific OS, but against hoarding and "dviide-and-conquer"
software-- which, in the end, only stifles innovation and the progress of the
art.  That Microsoft sees Linux as a threat  is their problem, not ours.  Why
play into their hands by playing their game?

And remember, Microsoft isn't the only one playing that game.

--
For translation:  http://www.kluge.net/ungeek.html