Greg Lopp on Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:21:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] sendmail installation

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 11:04:10AM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 10:06:02AM -0500, Greg Lopp wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 06:42:18PM -0500, cavegirl wrote:
> > > This is not my
> > > box, and not the main box of the user I am trying to help out so it
> > > isn't urgent that I get it up NOW. I would, in fact, like to configure
> > > sendmail the dirty way, but existing help is flying way over my
> > > head.
> > Dirty way?  I seem to recall finding helpful pages at sendmail.org,
> > but should again defer to the more experienced on the list.
>
> I just want to throw in here saying that editing the sendmail.cf is *not*
> what you want to do:
>
>     I treat the .cf file as a binary file. you should too.
>             --Eric Allman, author of sendmail, on sendmail.cf
>
> Instead, you want to edit the sendmail.mc, or, based on what has been said
> about RedHat, the cf.m4 (?!) file.

...as long as we are just throwing things out :
]$ rpm -qi sendmail-cf
Name        : sendmail-cf                  Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 8.9.3                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 20                            Build Date: Thu Feb 17 17:51:28 2000
Install date: Fri Oct 27 01:29:35 2000      Build Host: porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Daemons    Source RPM: sendmail-8.9.3-20.src.rpm
Size        : 515839                           License: BSD
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : The files needed to reconfigure Sendmail.
Description :
This package includes the configuration files which you'd need to
generate the sendmail.cf file distributed with the sendmail package.
You'll need the sendmail-cf package if you ever need to reconfigure
and rebuild your sendmail.cf file.  For example, the default
sendmail.cf file is not configured for UUCP.  If someday you needed to
send and receive mail over UUCP, you'd need to install the sendmail-cf
package to help you reconfigure Sendmail.

Install the sendmail-cf package if you need to reconfigure your
sendmail.cf file.

The question is, why are the sendmail and sendmail-cf packages
separate?  With something as complex and versatile as sendmail, what
are the chances that you aren't going to twiddle something?  If it is
only another ~112kb to sendmail's ~270, why not smash 'em together?
Does deb do this in one or two packages?