Kevin Falcone on Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:33:16 -0500

Re: [PLUG] sendmail installation

  BJ> I just want to throw in here saying that editing the sendmail.cf
  BJ> is *not* what you want to do:

Unless you _really_ know what you are doing, or want to do something
odd (I wanted to do something odd which I can't figure out how to do
with m4, so I got to hack the .cf file)

  BJ> Instead, you want to edit the sendmail.mc, or, based on what has
  BJ> been said about RedHat, the cf.m4 (?!) file.

On the RedHat boxes here, there are two files, /etc/sendmail.cf where
you make your changes and /usr/lib/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4 which is
included at the start of /etc/sendmail.cf

/etc/sendmail.cf comes with the sendmail RPM but the cf.m4 file only
comes with the sendmail-cf RPM.

-kevin, waiting for the "don't use sendmail" flame

--
I treat the .cf file as a binary file. you should too.
        --Eric Allman, author of sendmail, on sendmail.cf