cavegirl on Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:04:37 -0500

Re: [PLUG] sendmail installation

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Greg Lopp wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 06:42:18PM -0500, cavegirl wrote:

> Configuring sendmail is quite a chore. I'll leave it to others to
> offer advise on appropriate settings, but will point out that the
> sendmail rpm alone is not enough to reconfigure sendmail
> (i.e. generate a new /etc/sendmail.cf)  You also need the sendmail-cf
> package, which will add sereral files including
> /usr/lib/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4 to your system.

I have discovered it is more of a chore than anticipated. I did find the
file I was looking for in /etc. Thanks to dwild for suggesting that,
butn ow I have found new and more exciting problems. I haven't
researched them yet, so I am not going to ask here.

> Those aren't really files under /proc.  The kernel maintains a
> "procfs" there which provides lots of useful info about the system and
> running processes.  Read proc.txt in the Documentation directory of
> your kernel source tree for the full scoop.

I will do that. Thanks.

> > This is not my
> > box, and not the main box of the user I am trying to help out so it
> > isn't urgent that I get it up NOW. I would, in fact, like to configure
> > sendmail the dirty way, but existing help is flying way over my
> > head.
> Dirty way?  I seem to recall finding helpful pages at sendmail.org,
> but should again defer to the more experienced on the list.

I meant without a script to do it for me. How useful is knowing sendmail
in general. Is it a good way for a newbie to immerse thmenselves or it
is just a headache?

> Welcome and good luck,
>
> Greg (the one now from Ohio)

Twas nice meeting you as well.