Michael Leone on Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:30:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] ususing HD's >32gb under linux

On 19 Feb 2001 16:17:33 -0500, Chad Glynn wrote:

> Hey all,
>
>       I'm about to purchase some hard drives for my linux machine, and
> was wondering if there were any issues of using drives larger than 32
> gigs. If so, is there a workaround, or is this more of a motherboard
> issue? everytime I add a new harddrive larger than 32 gigs on my windows
> box (I built it less than a year ago), I always have to install software
> from the harddrive manf.

Always? For any OS? You have a BIOS problem, then. See about upgrading
the firmware in your BIOS. I had to do that, for my Asus motherboard.

> in order for it to be recognized by the OS.
> However, I am not sure if the same software will help it be recognized
> under linux, and I don't want to take a risk of finding out by buying a 45
> gig drive. ;)

Kernel versions about ... 2.2.14? ... recognize drives larger than 32G.
Any distro that comes with a kernel later than this should have no
problem.

I use a 40G drive with mine, under Mandrake 7.2. (kernel 2.2.17+); no
problems.

>       Thanks in advance. :)
>

>                       Chad :)

Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>    ICQ: 50453890

You've got your glory, you've paid for it all
You take your pension in loneliness and alcohol
                     Billy Squier, "Everybody wants you"