John Kirk on Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:46:32 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Q about how much disk space /proc/bus/usb uses

Hi Mike,

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 10:30:26AM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> As the subject says ...

  Well, I wouldn't assume _any_ "disk space" is being used,
since /proc is only represented in the file space hierarchy
as a convenience for access to information the kernel can
provide about your operating environment.

> Here's the odd part .. when I do a df -h, I see this:
> [turgon@minas-aran turgon]$ df -h
> ... (detail elided)
> /proc/bus/usb         1.4G  1.4G     0 100% /proc/bus/usb

  I dunno how to interpret the df program's reporting _anything_
about /proc, and thus anything about /proc/bus/usb, because
they're not really files or directories.  The "ls" command
usually reports zero length for most things in /proc, in my
experience.

> Now, why does the USB part of /proc want so much space?
> Anybody else running w/USB support?

  Can't help you there, although both usb and /proc interest
me a lot for their potential value.  When I look at the proc.txt
file in the "Documentation" directory of my 2.2.14 kernel source,
grep finds no occurrance of "usb", but I was hoping to find
something there.  There's a similar file in directory:
"Documentation/filesystems" of my 2.4.1 kernel source, but still
searching therein for "bus" gives only 3 references, only one of
which is relevant -- being a one-line description of /proc/bus.

> If so, how much does your /proc/bus/usb think it needs?

  I think the questions raised here are, rather:

     (1) why the "df" program thinks _it_ should
         report something about /proc/bus/usb

and, if there were a reason for that (i.e. _that_ weren't
simply a bug), then

     (2) why it's reporting what it does.

  By the way, what do

           "ls -alF /proc/bus/usb"
     and   "ls -alF /proc/bus           show on your system?

  Or other ways of viewing that part of /proc?   e.g.

           "less /proc/bus/usb"

since, I assume, it looks like an ASCII text file.