gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 23 Feb 2001 05:03:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Q about how much disk space /proc/bus/usb uses

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 01:53:57PM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> Right; it's some kind of "virtual" file system or some such. But still ...
> why so much? And is the amount shown unusual?

It's not really even a virtual file system. It's access to kernel
information by way of a file system interface (as would /kern be if
you had one, as the BSDs do).

It definitely does *not* take up any space, and I'd guess that the
amount shown has to do with some artificial storage size advertised
by the USB devices you've got plugged in.

It's clearly a bug either in df or in your kernel (or just in the
interaction between the version of each you've got) that anything
except for /proc itself shows up in your df output and, if it hasn't
already been fixed, ought to be reported.

(Hrm... after reading tim@iss.dccc.edu's message, perhaps this shows
up in df for some at least partially good reason involving finding
the size of USB-connected drives, but if that's the case, it's
probably an ugly kludge that has it appearing in df's output.)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net