Kevin Brosius on Thu, 15 Mar 2001 15:20:18 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Open source mail archive / search solutions for web?

Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 09:01:20AM -0500, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a good mail archive with search capabilites that is
> > web enabled?  Something easier than rolling my own Apache/DB system?  I
> > like what deja and geocrawler offer, but they aren't freely available.
> > It would also be nice to have the option of running some private
> > archives, or I'd just point the lists to geocrawler...
>
> http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=mail+archive

Yeah, ran that search myself. ;-)  Wasn't all that impressed with what I
saw.

> http://freshmeat.net/projects/hypermail.pl/ looks interesting.  Don't know
> if that's what you're looking for or not.  You could always use another
> site search engine, or put in a little text box that queries Google,
> appending " site:lists.foo.com" to the search query.

The hypermail info looks interesting.  I'll look at their search
capability a little more.  Google is okay, but private lists aren't an
option then.  I'll try the 'site' keyword and see how that helps.  I
haven't been very impressed with Google for mail list searching in the
past.  (It's great for web searches.)

--
Kevin Brosius