Michael Leone on Sun, 25 Mar 2001 01:20:18 -0500

Re: [PLUG] It's always the little details ....

On 25 Mar 2001 00:34:03 -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> Just a couple little nitpicks (you knew this was coming, right? ;) )...
>
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 01:13:56PM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> > apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
>
> I'd use dist-upgrade instead of just upgrade;

Had already done that. And did it again, after fixing the sources.list,
just to be safe. Didn't see any reason to mention it, tho, since I was
only using the Debian command as an example of getting an update for
your system, not as a tutorial of how best to do it on a Debian system.
I was trying to point out how easy it was to overlook something so
simple as a "#". I wouldn't have noticed it at all, if I had not gotten
a null response from that upgrade command (and from the dist-upgrade, as
well), when I was expecting some response. Otherwise, I would have just
gone on my merry, innocent victim way. :-)

> > running bind on that machine (like most distros, Debian installs and
> > starts bind by default)- unecessarily, since my firewall runs a
>
> I question this assertion.  I've done several installs of Debian and have
> never had bind installed until I requested an 'apt-get install bind'.
> Perhaps you picked task packages in tasksel that depend on bind for one
> reason or another?

Dunno; but the couple times I've installed Debian, bind was there and
running. So it's quite possible that it came along with something else
I've installed, altho I don't know what.

The important point, of course, is to turn off services you don't need,
regardless of how they got there. RedHat is notorious for that, and many
of the other distros also are guilty of it, to lesser degrees.

Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>    ICQ: 50453890

And if it's too much fun, that oughta clue you, son
You're probably doing something that's wrong ...
                                  "Don't Do It"
                                  Little Charlie and the Nightcats