Pat McMichael on Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:10:54 -0400

RE: [PLUG] alpha kernel compile of 2.4.3...

A friend at Compaq answers the 64 Bit Alpha compile issue
-----Original Message-----
From: Russell C. Pavlicek [mailto:pavlicek@radc122.cop.cpqcorp.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001 9:44 AM
To: PMCMICHAEL@faxbureau.com
Subject: Re: FW: HI local LINUX Group please se alpha note FW: [PLUG]
alpha ke rnel compile of 2.4.3...

Feel free to forward the following response:

> i got a problem compiling 2.4.3 on an alpha 600a/EVp56 CPU...
>
> here's what i get!
>
> /usr/src/linux/include/asm/pgalloc.h:334: conflicting types for
'pte_alloc'

> and a few more lines.. complaining about the same.
>
> anyone here have any good experiences on an alpha box with linux?

Our people here have seen the same problem with the 2.4.3 build.
Apparently, there are patches around on the kernel list to deal with it,
but I don't know if Linux kernel folks have released an official fix for
it yet.  You might want to stick to 2.4.2 until the final fix is
incorporated into the kernel tree.  By all accounts I've seen, the 2.4.3
kernel should be used instead of the 2.4.2, but that doesn't mean much
when you can't build 2.4.3.

Russell C. Pavlicek
Compaq Representative to Linux International
Compaq Computer Corporation       http://radc122.cop.cpqcorp.net/
Russell.Pavlicek@compaq.com
301.829.5327