Mental on Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:46:20 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Kernel 2.4 under RH7

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 09:21:58AM -0400, Michael Whitman wrote:
> I use redhat because I am using it professionally and can call them when i
> am clueless.
> Maybe I can blame problems on them also if I encounter any i can't solve.

I hope you're not developing on it. A RH7 webserver is one thing, but as a
development box its a horrible idea. You wont be able to run packages you
create on other boxes. The binaries will be broken. Or I should say 'less
reliable' than ones developed with a 'proper' gcc. Please update gcc before
you find problems :)

There was a  discussion about this a while back on LKML. Linus had some
strong things to say about it. Alan Cox defended it somewhat but conceeded
that it wasnt exactly an award winning idea.

Check here for some info;
http://www.linuxgram.com/newsitem.phtml?sid=108&aid=11472
archives of the mailing lst are here:
http://boudicca.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/

As for 'support', I've found you can call lots of other linux vendors.
Mandrake, SuSE... Currently I'm developing on SuSE 7.1. There's also
Caldera, I believe they offer support also. I'm not advocating changing
your distro. I'm just pointing out options and facts. As far as I'm
concerned a distro is just a building block for what I'm ultimately trying
to build.

--
Mental

<ljlane> It's 2001 for chrissake. We're supposed to have flying cars. But
          noooo.. we have $80+ slowass modems.