Michael Leone on Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:20:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] wine, quicken, installshield, and hair on the floor

> > Win4Lin is much faster and cheaper, altho not as comprehensive as the
> full
> > VMWare. There is a VMWare Express, that only does Win9x, that's like 1/3
> the
> > price.
>
> Yep, I picked it up when you could get the hobby version for $99 and the
> license works with all the full versions. Although it is a serious memory
> hog. For a Win98 machine given 128mb its taking up 160mb of real memory.

Man, ain't THAT the truth. The full VMWare running Win2K (w/128M RAM
allocated) is quite sluggish on my Mandrake 7.2/Gnome 1.2, P3-550 w/384M
RAM. CPU usage hovers around 10% or so, even when doing nothing in VMWare
but sitting there looking at the screen. :-)

Also, it sometimes interferes with streaming media, since Windows Media
Player will re-buffer sites under VMWare that it won't re-buffer,  running
natively. And the quality is worse, too - more static and dropouts. Probably
just consequences of the total hardware emulation.