mike_phillips on Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:10:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] wine, quicken, installshield, and hair on the floor

> I'll try it - last WINE version I tried was the 200102xx. Before that,
it
> was the 200012xx, and also 2 different CodeWeaver WINE previews.

I run whichever version is latest in debian/unstable, so of course updates
are a breeze.

> GnuCash doesn't do online banking yet.

Fair enough.

> Any idea how well does StarOffice do with MS Access dbs? Especially ones
> with macros/modules?

Good question, I honestly don't know as all my databases are on the server
(either at work and SQL server - urrgh, or Postgres, so I connect with
either ODBC or direct to Postgress - pgaccess is very nice).

> Win4Lin is much faster and cheaper, altho not as comprehensive as the
full
> VMWare. There is a VMWare Express, that only does Win9x, that's like 1/3
the
> price.

Yep, I picked it up when you could get the hobby version for $99 and the
license works with all the full versions. Although it is a serious memory
hog. For a Win98 machine given 128mb its taking up 160mb of real memory.
On my PIII 500/256mb laptop performance is not an issue, it probably runs
at about the speed that a 333mhz regular machine would. It is nice to be
able to run any OS within vmware though.

> If you'll be back in Philly by July, Len Rosenthal and I will be giving
> talk at PLUG about our experiences using Windows programs under Linux.

The job up here is meant to be over the end of July, I may be home during
the month anyway as we've got visitors from over the pond coming at some
point.

Mike