Nicholas Vettese on Fri, 13 Apr 2001 16:40:13 -0400

Re: [PLUG] wine, quicken, installshield, and hair on the floor

There is a program Appgen makes for free, called Moneydance. It doesn't have online banking yet, but it is written in java, so there is a version for many OSs. It has compatability with Quicken, so you can import your files into the program.
Nick

From: Jeff Abrahamson <jeff@purple.com>
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] wine, quicken, installshield, and hair on the floor
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:03:00 -0400

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 12:19:51PM -0400, mike_phillips@urscorp.com wrote:
> Back to the original question though, why use Quicken at  all, have you
> investigated Gnucash ?

Ya know, I'd love to be using gnucash. I tried it out, and maybe it's
just got a steep learning curve. But I had trouble figuring it out
completely. But, more to the point, the QIF import failed miserably,
confusing categories and descriptions and things. Really weird
experience. (And why doesn't gnucash have an import option that says,
"Grab all the QIF files in this dir?" But I digress into whining.)

I think, long term, I just need to mirror quicken with gnucash for a
few months until I understand the subtleties of gnucash. Maybe then
I'll be able to pull off the import ok. Or, worst case, I can always
just switch on 1/1/02 and keep my quicken file for historical stuff. I
don't think I really need the historical data unless I'm audited.

Thanks for the helpful comments and the useful if abrupt reality check
on quicken under wine.

--
 Jeff