Mental on Tue, 17 Apr 2001 19:16:18 -0400

Re: [PLUG] I have an idea

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 05:02:04PM -0400, Rupert Heesom wrote:
> On 17 Apr 2001 11:13:26 -0400, Mental wrote:
> > How useful would it be if you could manage user accounts/mail
> > delivery/aliases/whatever from one central place for multiple OS's?
> >
> > I've decided that pam, ldap and samba are just itching to be tied together
> > into one killer app.
> >

> I think LDAP is similar to Novell's NDS (eDirectory) or MS Active
> Directory,isn't it?
> Novell has NDS available for the unices I think (certainly Linux), so so
> why not use LDAP there as well, or use both?
>
> Do tell me if I'm missing the point entirely.....

The point being LDAP is an open standard. active directory and nds are not
(as far as I know). LDAP is essentially a usable subset of X500. Sort of
like html vs sgml. Kind of.

Is there even a parallel for nds as far as projects go? Who's doing the
unix nds stuff? Anything like openldap.org? Are there librarys you can
link to and a fairly mature api to develop against? Honestly, I dont know.
I hadnt considered it.

--
Mental

Height, Hell, Time, Haste, Terror, Tension
Life, Death, Want, Waste, Mass Depression
Old habits reappear
Fighting the fear of fear
Growing conspiracy
Myself is after me