Mental on Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:28:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] I have an idea

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 11:14:31AM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> Well ... no, actually. The info above comes from interrogating the
> workstation itself. Samba has more to do with file/print sharing, and
> NETBIOS name resolution. The above object ID is sort of a combination "who",
> "ifconfig" and "uname", which is then stored in the directory. Samba
> wouldn't really help you get any of this info. Might help storing it, tho,
> depending on where the database that you keep these entries lives.

Samba, configured as a PDC stores machine accounts as well as user
accounts.

> > There's a working prototype of roaming ssh-keys I have here... Other apps
> > could follow. Other stuff like login scripts/profiles/MS stuff can be done
> > with samba. I dont see where it would be useful to have a roaming excel
> > program if you log into a *nix box. :)
>
> No. But then, all you'd have to do would be to check the OS type on the
> station you're logging onto, and push apps down accordingly (Excel,
> StarOffice, etc). Altho "pushing apps down"  glosses MANY things over.

Assuming you're running X that is.

> > Not using NDS, I cant do that. Its all acl's and *nix permissions.
>
> Well, that's what NDS stores - the acl's and permissions. It's just a
> centralized store of those rights. And if you run the NDS for NT or Unix
> (now called e-Directory), it stores rights for those platforms as well. In
> the tree, so you're not limited to logging into just 1 server at a time.

I'm sure I can think of a way to do this. When its needed, I'll figure it
out.

--
Mental

Height, Hell, Time, Haste, Terror, Tension
Life, Death, Want, Waste, Mass Depression
Old habits reappear
Fighting the fear of fear
Growing conspiracy
Myself is after me