Andrew Brennan on Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:50:16 -0400

[PLUG] Linksys cards?

I posted this to USENET the other day ... anyone else seen this problem??
It's munging up our network monitoring processes and I'm thinking we will
need to have a dirty linksys card exchange program on campus or something
along those lines.  :^)

>From andrew.brennan@drexel.edu Mon Apr 16 17:25:35 2001
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:20:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Andrew Brennan <andrew.brennan@drexel.edu>
To: support@linksys.com
Subject: Odd behavior from Linksys PC100 card

I'm hoping you might be able to shed some light on the problem we've been
having on our network.  We have several thousand systems on campus and in
the process of monitoring the network equipment, we've noticed that there
are literally thousands of bogus MAC addresses showing up on the network.

The odd bit is that the addresses show this pattern:

	XX XX 00 D0 BC F1
	YY YY 00 D0 BC F1

and the address details that change are the first two pairs - so this has
no direct connection with any manufacturer's OUI.  Another card might use
pattern of behavior, but use a different set of 4 pairs consistently.

Now ... why you might care or be helpful.  We seem to traced this back to
particular ports on our network and the only normally behaving devices on
these ports are Linksys Ethernet cards [00:E0:98:xx:xx:xx].  We have them
all configured to use DHCP, in case that might be helpful information.

Is there any chance you have already heard about this problem and have it
fixed in an updated driver?  If not, we have a couple hundred people with
these cards on campus and I'd like to offer them (us, actually) a fix for
this ... since our other options aren't terribly user friendly.

andrew.