Mental on Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:50:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] crontab entry not working

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 02:42:15PM -0400, Rupert Heesom wrote:
> I'm trying to create a crontab entry which would create a file with the
> current day's date as the file name.   To test the cron entry, I put
> together the following cron line.  The error I get mailed to me, are the
> 2 lines below.   Evidently cron doesn't like the "%" I have in the
> command.    Is this normal?

The man page has this to say:
       The  ``sixth''  field (the rest of the line) specifies the
       command to be run.  The  entire  command  portion  of  the
       line,  up to a newline or % character, will be executed by
       /bin/sh or by the shell specified in the SHELL variable of
       the  cronfile.   Percent-signs  (%) in the command, unless
       escaped with backslash (\), will be changed  into  newline
       characters, and all data after the first % will be sent to
       the command as standard input.

--
Mental