William Shank on Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:02:20 -0400

RE: [PLUG] JDK 1.3 and RH7.1

FYI: I got Forte to run using IBM's JDK (IBMJava2-13 - a 1.3 JDK). I don't
know if this is because IBM compiled their JVM differently or what.

also, the RH7.1 release notes describe how to make oracle think it's running
on a Rh6.2 kernel. I haven't tried it yet, but let me know if you have
success with it.

-Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: tom panzarella
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: 4/19/01 6:26 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] JDK 1.3 and RH7.1

Kevin Brosius wrote:

> William Shank wrote:
>
>> I just installed RH7.1 yesterday and I cannot get java to run. I'm
using the
>> Sun JDK1.3_02, which is the latest. java -version doesn't execute,

I just experienced the same exact thing.

>> and I
>> cannot get Forte to launch either.

Makes sense, Forte is written in Java.

>> however, i see defunct java processes
>> running in the process table. i think it may be related to the issue
that
>> prevents oracle8i from running as described in the release notes.

The latest version of Linux (Red Hat) that I have been able to run
Oracle8i (8.1.6) on has been 6.2.

>> which is
>> that oracle is linked to the glibc 2.1 libs, where as RH7.1 runs the
glibc
>> 2.2. anyone experiencing similar problems? any fixes?

I'm not even going to attempt to install Oracle on RH7.1 until I can get

Java running on it.  If you come accross any fixes, please do post them
to the list or email me directly as Java and Oracle are pretty much the
two "killer apps" for Linux that are of most value to me.

>> i'm going to try the
>> fix for oracle, but i'm not sure if there are other env. variables
that need
>> to be created as well. any help or advice is appreciated (unless you
suggest
>> i switch to debian, in which case i'll just stick my tongue out at
you ;-p

It's a bummer.  I was psyched to do this today as well.  I downloaded
both Red Hat 7.1 ISO images as well as the latest Oracle8i release for
Linux (8.1.7) -- close to 1.5 GB worth of downloading -- only to find
out that I can't even run the JVM on RH 7.1.  It looks like I'll be
sticking with RH 6.2 until these issues are resolved :-(  ...

>> chris
>>

> Switch to SuSE? (runs)...

Do you have Oracle8i and/or Java1.3.xxx running on SuSE successfully ...

(the latest SuSE)?

> Does RH7.1 come with a set of glibc2.1 compatibility libs?

Yes.  There were two RPMs "compat-glibc" and "compat-libstdc++".  I
installed them but I'm not sure how to make Java run against them.

>  It could be
> painful, but if you have to run RH7.1 then it should be possible to
run
> anything you want against a different set of libc libraries

Anyone know how to do this?

William, I am going to keep messing around with this to see if I can get

it to work ... or see if any of my peers have gotten it to work ("it"
being Java1.3_02 and/or any version >= Oracle 8.1.6 on RH 7.1).  Please
keep me informed with how you are doing with it as well as I'm sure you
haven't given up yet either.

Thanks.
--t.

--