gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 2 May 2001 12:36:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] LPIC: User groups in Linux

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 06:25:59AM -0400, Rupert Heesom wrote:
> What is the "egid"?  Do you mean "GUID"?

No, I mean egid. "Effective group identification."

> I must say, LOTS of stuff in the LPIC Prep Kit 101 that I'm using to
> prepare for this exam is misleading.  Even some of the stuff is
> CONTRADICTORY, or just plain WRONG (according to what I know and
> practice on my linux console screen).  The practice test is even worse,
> this is a small example of the wierd questions they have, then some
> questions are graded incorrectly!

Hrm.

Is this actually Linux specific?

Linux does some rather important things in a non-Unix, even
sometimes non-POSIX way, so it differs from proper Unix some times.
On the other hand, the "L" implies this is Linux specific...

Another explanation is that Linux is something of a moving target. I
get the impression that someone somewhere would like Linux to be
fully POSIX-compliant, but they're taking their time in effecting
that influence. So, things could have changed between whatever
kernel and userland the people writing your practice material used
and the kernel and userland you're currently using.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net