Tim Peeler on Wed, 9 May 2001 10:48:28 -0400

Re: [PLUG] module-info file question

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 07:00:22PM -0400, Rupert Heesom wrote:
> On 08 May 2001 18:26:41 -0400, Jason Wertz wrote:
> > I'm speaking from a Red Hat based standpoint on this but I'm curious about a specific file in the /boot directory...
> >
> > In the /boot directoy there is the module-info file which is a symlink to the appropriate module info for the running kernel
> >
> > module-info -> module-info-2.2.18pre11-va2.1smp
> >
> > At what point is this file created and copied over to that directory (make modules_install?) or does it have to be copied over by hand? Reason being I recompiled a new kernel and at some point did something to be missing this file in that directory. I'm assuming if I have multiple 2.2.x kernels (and separate module directories for each kernel in /lib/modules) on my machine I need multiple module-info files.

Redhat uses /boot/module-info for it's various gui based configuration
tools.  It's there just for people that don't know the module name they
need to use for their specific driver. I don't know of any other use
for it - and you don't actually need to get a new one (unless you have
trouble figuring out what kernel module is needed for your hardware).

Tim