Rupert Heesom on Tue, 8 May 2001 23:00:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] module-info file question

On 08 May 2001 18:26:41 -0400, Jason Wertz wrote:
> I'm speaking from a Red Hat based standpoint on this but I'm curious about a specific file in the /boot directory...
>
> In the /boot directoy there is the module-info file which is a symlink to the appropriate module info for the running kernel
>
> module-info -> module-info-2.2.18pre11-va2.1smp
>
> At what point is this file created and copied over to that directory (make modules_install?) or does it have to be copied over by hand? Reason being I recompiled a new kernel and at some point did something to be missing this file in that directory. I'm assuming if I have multiple 2.2.x kernels (and separate module directories for each kernel in /lib/modules) on my machine I need multiple module-info files.

Not necessarily true (don't quote me on that).  When I've compiled a new
kernel, I've done the "make bzImage" (to do the actual compile).  Then
copied the file bzImage from /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot directory to
/boot, naming it after the same convention that other other boot images
are named - vmlinuz-<kernel version>.  This naming convention seems to
be just that, a naming convention to keep tabs on what file is what.

Apart from that (and updating the /etc/lilo.conf file AND RUNNING LILO),
I have kept all the other files the same (not even included an
initrd-<kernel ver>.img file). The initrd file, from what I gather, only
contains an "initial RAM disk" of the disk driver (my scsi aic78xx)
which is supposed to make the disk driver available before the "/"
partition is booted (assuming "/" is seperate from "/boot".  I've just
compiled the disk driver into the kernel instead of the RAM disk (and
left the "initrd" line out of teh /etc/lilo.conf file).   It works for
me.

--
regs
rupert