Mental on Thu, 10 May 2001 11:05:40 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Streaming Audio for linux?

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 10:05:56AM -0400, drexel wrote:
> Hi list....
> 	I have a person who wants to put some streaming audio products on a web
> page.  THey would like to stear clear of the mircosoft stuff, and use a
> safer version of linux for this.  Is there one out there?  He wants to sell
> stuff, sounds and the like on the site.  That is the source of the need for
> the stronger encrypton.

What kind of bitrate? How much bandwidht do they have? How many concurrent
connections do they need to support? Do a search on freshmeat. I used
icecast for a while when I had dsl. I'd stream mp3's from home to work. It
worked fairly well, but it would saturate the line pretty badly if more
then like 2 people were streaming. I had the bitrate set kind of high.
Quality was more important to me.

Theres a buch of stuff in a bunch of languages out there. I think
someone's working on a mod_mp3 for apache also, but its variable bitrate
stuff needs a little polish.

--
Mental