Rupert Heesom on Thu, 10 May 2001 11:37:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] HELP!! Scanner device not working (hardware going offline)

On 10 May 2001 09:47:55 -0400, Mental wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 12:11:53PM -0400, Rupert Heesom wrote:
> I dunno how it relates to scsi scanners, but I know it is used for
> video devices. specificaly you mknod video0 c 81 0. Then you alias it in
> your /etc/conf.modules.
> alias char-major-81     videodev
> alias char-major-81-0   bttv
>
> Who knows, I didnt see it anywhere else.... seems to be a video device
> type thing. The only thing that mentioned that device were:
> Documentation/video4linux/bttv/Modules.conf
> Documentation/video4linux/CQcam.txt
> Documentation/video4linux/README.cpia
>
> At least in the 2.4 kernel tree.
>
> Sane or whatever you're using doesnt think you're trying to use a parallel
> port scanner does it?

Well, Mental:  The update from here is that I've found that SANE works
fine if I avoid using the preview function.  Therefore I think that
XSANE somehow wants to use that video driver thing for it's preview.
Sounds a bit wierd to me, but I'm going to try setting up the
char-major-81 thing and see what happens.

I'm starting to learn how to look for info here.  Did you use grep to
find the docs in the 2.4 kernel tree?

--
regs
rupert