Rupert Heesom on Sun, 13 May 2001 20:53:47 -0400

SORTED: Re: [PLUG] HELP!! Scanner device not working

For all those PLUG people who bravely helped me along with my sane
nightmare.

A guy on the sane-devel mailing list, trawled me through some
diagnostics, and was then able to suggest what he thought the problem
was.

It turned out that I had extra sanelib files lying in the wrong
directory.  This was upsetting my new install of sane from source,
because most of the old sane config of mine was deleted (when I
uninstalled the RPMs).

my /etc/ld.so.conf file looked like this -

[rupert@localhost rupert]$cat /etc/ld.so.conf
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/qt-2.2.0/lib
/usr/lib/qt-2.2.1/lib
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/qt-1.45/lib
/usr/kerberos/lib
/usr/local/lib

I remmed out the "/usr/lib" line, leaving only the bottom /usr/local/lib
line.  Then ran ldconfig.  This left sane with the sanelib files in
/usr/local/lib  which contains the lib files from the source install.

Now xsane works fine!

I need to learn how to handle Linux libraries!  Just a simple system
mess like this (a few files in the wrong place) and my programs can't
operate!

My special thanks for John Kirk for offering to spend some time with me
in troublshooting this.  John, if you need some help setting up that
scanner of yours, I _may_ be able to help!

--
regs
rupert