Greg Lopp on Sun, 13 May 2001 20:58:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] "Medusa" failing on startup

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 08:19:34PM -0400, John Beck wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Hoping you can help.  I am an very new linux user, running Redhat 7.0 with
> Ximian Gnome 1.4 and Nautilus as a file manager only.
>
> When my computer boots, the very last message I get as it is going through the
> process of starting all the services is that "medusa" has failed.  I am not
> quite sure what Medusa is, nor why I need it, so I tried looking for info about
> it in the Redhat help pages, as well as that of Gnome and Nautilus, but I don't
> find any mention to it...  I even tried: man medusa , but had no luck.  If I
> try to remove it (by doing: rpm -e medusa) I get a message that it has
> dependencies in Nautilus, and I can't remove it.
>
> Does anyone know what this is, why I need it, and how I can stop it from
> failing at startup?  Any help is appreciated!

What is is : a way to impliment "MVS", a security scheme in which the
entire system is not controled by a single superuser, root account.
Administrative resposibilities are spread between multiple accounts.
Good reading : http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-7.html

Why you need it : Need is a strong word.  It is a better, safer, more
secure system (provided it works as advertised), but it is not the
only way to improve system security.

How to stop the failure : You prabably have two options here.  The
easiest is to simply prevent it from starting.  In /etc/rc.d/init.d
(or /etc/init.d , I don't recall which way RH does it) is a script
file called medusa (or something similar) This is the file that is
being called and failing.  It is being called via a symbolic link from
one of the /etc/rc.d/rc?.d directories (where ? is some number,
probably 3 or 5) called S??medusa (S is for startup and ?? is a number
00-99)  Delete these links and you won't get the failure message.  The
harder and more complete way would be to fully install medusa as it
was meant.  You installed a medusa rpm as part of Nautilus, but to
truly impliment MVS, you need to patch and rebuild your
kernel. (Something all new linux users should do eventually)  For that
I suggest you seek out the HOWTO on building the kernel from source
and the medusa website : http://medusa.fornax.sk/

Greg