Eric Allan Lucas on Wed, 16 May 2001 08:32:56 -0400

[PLUG] Curious hardware? issue

I know this is only 1/2 Linux related but there is a great deal of expertise on this list and I hope someone has an idea about this very curious problem:

I've got a Win98 machine:  SuperMicro mini ATX MoBo with Intel 810 chipset (integrated video) 64MB memory, 9 gig HD, ViewSonic A90 monitor, Lexmark Z52 printer.  Plain Vanilla PC in other words.
Works fine with Win98 (as well as any Win98 machine can)

Now, I install a second hard drive (ide 0 slave) 2Gig Maxtor (out of my "hardware drawer" - off line for about 1 year) and install Red Hat 7.1 on it.  It works!  Everything is fine in the Linux department (well, so far it has to boot Linux with a floppy but I can live with that).

Now, when the machine is booted into Win98, it "locks up" after a few minutes of use.  By "lock up" I mean the computer stops responding to either the mouse and/or keyboard.  Sometimes, it fixes itself (starts responding) after some brief period of time, other times it must be powered off.

Here is the curious part... when I disconnect the 2 Gig drive... Win98 boots and runs fine!

Has anybody run into a similar issue on a dual boot PC before?

Any ideas about how to fix this (other than trash Win98... cannot do that yet) are welcome.

Thanks!

Eric