LeRoy Cressy on Thu, 17 May 2001 02:41:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Curious hardware? issue

I remember hearing of a simular situation and if my memory serves me
correctly I think the solution was to put the drive on ide 1.  Windows
is trying to look at ide 0 and sees a drive partitioned that it does not
know how to deal with.  ext2 partitions cannot be mounted and there is
no FAT partition for it to mount.  Thus Windows locks up and finally
gives up!

Eric Allan Lucas wrote:

> I know this is only 1/2 Linux related but there is a great deal of expertise on this list and I hope someone has an idea about this very curious problem:
>
> I've got a Win98 machine:  SuperMicro mini ATX MoBo with Intel 810 chipset (integrated video) 64MB memory, 9 gig HD, ViewSonic A90 monitor, Lexmark Z52 printer.  Plain Vanilla PC in other words.
> Works fine with Win98 (as well as any Win98 machine can)
>
> Now, I install a second hard drive (ide 0 slave) 2Gig Maxtor (out of my "hardware drawer" - off line for about 1 year) and install Red Hat 7.1 on it.  It works!  Everything is fine in the Linux department (well, so far it has to boot Linux with a floppy but I can live with that).
>
> Now, when the machine is booted into Win98, it "locks up" after a few minutes of use.  By "lock up" I mean the computer stops responding to either the mouse and/or keyboard.  Sometimes, it fixes itself (starts responding) after some brief period of time, other times it must be powered off.
>
> Here is the curious part... when I disconnect the 2 Gig drive... Win98 boots and runs fine!
>
> Has anybody run into a similar issue on a dual boot PC before?
>
> Any ideas about how to fix this (other than trash Win98... cannot do that yet) are welcome.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )