Rupert Heesom on Wed, 16 May 2001 16:00:07 -0400

[PLUG] Advice re SCSI scanner not working

I have a SCSI scanner which has just started playing up.  I think the
problem is the actual controller (scanner is only device on controller).

The symptoms:  I load xsane.  It loads fine.  I ask for a preview.  The
scanner does it's scan, but the preview shows up blank on the preview
window.  Subsequent attempts to rescan the preview, or even do the
proper scan gives the error msg (something like):  "incorrect command".

If I try reloading xsane, it then can't find the scanner.

I looked at all  the permissions on the device files.  All seemed fine.

I tried rebooting the PC, noticed that on the startup screen when the
SCSI controllers are seen, that the scanner didn't show up under it's
controller.  (It usually does).   I did a cold boot, and suddenly the
scanner shows up OK under it's controller.  Boot into Linux again.

Try running Xsane once more, it loads fine, tries to do the preview
(with same results).  Same symptoms all over until I do a cold boot.

Sounds like the controller has gone doesn't it?  Just looking for a
second opinion before I go out & buy another cheapish controller for my
scanner. (adaptec 2906)

--
regs
rupert