Mental on Sun, 20 May 2001 18:50:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] What every retailer should know

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 10:11:17PM -0400, Bill Jonas wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 08:46:16PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> > that Linux does. (That's just horse shit. No computer, much less
> > POS, system works for and extended period of time without maintenance.)
>
> I beg to differ.
>
> http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20010409S0012

Yay. An exception that prooves the rule? While things like log rotation
are usually automated, they are still 'maintenance'. The fact it was
behind a wall doesnt mean no one logged into it from time to time to
maintain the system. It just means the remote administration tools work
well.

Lets go down the list and try to be objective instead of being full of
ourselves. Just because We Dont Use Windows, doesnt mean we're somehow
superior to someone who does.

Personally, I cant imagine giving my mother a linux box. She would hate
it. Further, if she had issues with her insurance software, and called
support the first thing they'll as is 'what are you running it in?'.
Responding with 'wine' or 'dosemu running under linux' is just going to
result in 'we dont support that'. How is that  a good thing?

Limited Device Driver Support.

How is this not true? Windows completely dominates the PC hardware arena.
Hell, more than half the hardware I have didnt come with linux drivers. Or
it took months for them to be developed. As a consumer, I dont care that
'the specs arent open' or 'the hardware will be supported Real Soon Now.'.
All I care about is plugging in the doodad I paid money for and having it
work.

Support and maintenence costs.

The average internet user doesnt even know what usenet is. Most ISP's dont
support linux. Most computer manufacturers dont either. Again, while its
getting better, its still not as mature as windows is for first time
users. Most people dont even know how to reinstall windows. Unless they
have a 'linux rescue disk' they are SOL if something breaks.

Numerous installtion versions.

Anyone who has ever had to search high and low for a package for their
distro or has had to download source and compile, or has wanted to run a
commercial product that has not been ported to linux has been bitten by
this. To date, I have never gotten corel's office suite to run under
Mandrake or Suse. I just gave up. Too many librarys are not backwards
compatible. The alternative, I suppose, is to staticly link the binary and
just eat up gobs of memory. Again. Work is needed here. IF we fail to see
and address this, then shame on us.

Lack of available software.

I want to play Black & White under linux. I'd like it if Bryce ran in X.
The list goes on. Things are improoving. But there's still a ways to go.

Untested waters in retail.

While this is somewhat true, I fail to see how much different windows 2000
is..... Both OS's are making inroads.

Lack of formal development schedule, research and standards.

This is true for both partys. Microsoft continually evolved their
standards, push back release dates, and change API's. So does Linus. Big
deal.

Less Secure.

This is the only 'point' that itches me in a bad place.

Increased labor costs.

This is somewhat subjective depending on whate you're using linux for.
HOwever, Unix admins do tend to make more than MCSE's. So, to an extent,
this could be true. However, studies have prooven one way and the other
the the cost of ownership can vary quite drasticly. This point is a bit
subjective.....

Limited Developer Tools.

This arguement hinges on GUI tools. And on that level, there are indeed
fewer options. However, knowing your tools is what makes a good developer.
For people transitioning from windows to linux, the road can indeed be
rocky. However, for those of us coming from a unix background, its the
same old stuff.

Business Agility in the Future

Mainly I found this to be pure FUD. However it is true that in many
instances drivers for new hardware are avilable for windows first. With
large corporations embracing linux, this may well change. However, it
should indeed be a consideration for anyone making decisions.

All in all, I found that the paper (despite its areas of pure FUD) pointed
out several areas for improovment. Ignoring these valid criticisms is an
arogance we can ill afford. Taken constructively, this paper is like a
todo list for areas that still need improovment.

But perhaps I'm too objective.

W3 4r3 l337 l1nux h4x0rz!!!!
Phear our massive skilz, we use unix.

I think that about covers all the bases.

--
Mental