k hill on Wed, 23 May 2001 14:11:03 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DSL providers (was: Install)

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 12:01:32PM -0400, k hill wrote:
> > So if Covad is your line provider, and your
> > dsl provider is 2 seconds late on a payment they are axing them. I don't
> > know where Covad is headed but I suspect they may be thinking of
> > dropping residential level work altogether. This is all speculation and
> > a quick upswing in the market could change things but expect it to be
> > harder and more expensive to get collocation services at a residential
> > level for a bit.
>
> Also speculation, but...
>
> I would expect to see COVAD on fuckedcompany.com before the end of
> the year.
>
> (That is, they're not trying to migrate their business, they're
> trying to back off of the overextension they've built, and they're
> going to die trying.)

Covad has a nice backbone, even if they die their new owners are likely
to make good use of it. The equipment I have seen in the COs is
versatile, it almost seemed as they were preparing to implode.

> Broadband just isn't what it was cracked up to be for the average
> human being (as opposed to the system administrator, gamer, so
> forth).

Agreed, if you can't use standard connections to the potential they
present, what is broadband, with it's heftier price tag, going to do for
you?

> I was actually thinking just last night (largely since my roommate
> just moved out and I haven't replaced the TV he owned yet) how nice
> it would be if that whole internet media thing ever actually took
> off. I want to watch a *movie* at home, not a webcam...

Call me a nostalgic fool, but less media makes me happy. I guess movies
would be nice, but I think they are going to hit the same brick wall
broadband did. How many consumers have a system that would make it
comporable to the new nifty DVD and HDTV they just bought?

kristin