Michael Leone on Wed, 23 May 2001 14:30:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DSL providers (was: Install)

> > Broadband just isn't what it was cracked up to be for the average
> > human being (as opposed to the system administrator, gamer, so
> > forth).
>
> Agreed, if you can't use standard connections to the potential they
> present, what is broadband, with it's heftier price tag, going to do for
> you?

I pay $5 more for DSL than I paid for dial-up ($20 month for account, $25
for 2nd phone line), for a 10-12x speed increase, using standard DSL from
Verizon with DCA as ISP. So, for a 11% increase in cost, I got a 1000%-1200%
increase in speed.

Know anything else that will give you a 10x-12x increase for a $5 increase
in cost? Even if I only had 1 phone line to start, that would be a 10x-12x
speed increase for double the money.

And besides, nobody gets DSL or cable or other broadband, if they're only
online an hr or 2 a week, or just to check email every other day. For those
people, broadband is a waste. For the other 99.99% of the population, it's
the best deal going. :-)

(there may be better, faster alternatives, but they don't deliver the same
price/performance ratio to the consumer)