Michael C Finn on Wed, 23 May 2001 20:10:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: PACS Meeting Saturday

From: <Darxus@ChaosReigns.com>
> I would love to hear more about PACS from anyone who may have attended
> meetings.  I'd also like to better understand the following: "A one-time
> pass is available at the Membership Services desk...".

Many years ago, PACS meetings were open to all, but as dues paying members
dropped (from 2000 to about 360 currently), the Board of Directors felt PACS
was spending too much money and not getting proper support in return and so
decided to charge non-members $3.00 or so to help pay for such things as
cost of meeting site. That is the one-time pass, $3 to attend that one
meeting.

>As soon as I discovered the existance of PACS, I added a link on the
>PLUG website, and emailed the maintainer of the PACS website (several
>times, I think) to request a link from them.  This was some time ago.
>I never got a responce.  I still can't find a link on their site to PLUG.

PACS has gone through a couple webmasters. Probably the current pacsop isn't
aware of your prior request. If the new Linux SIG gets a page set up, I'm
sure they would add a link.

>CJF was the leader of the PACS UNIX SIG until January of 1997 - 1 year
>after he (and others?) formed PLUG.

After Chris left, the UNIX SIG continued and Allen Waters is current Sig
leader. I haven't attended that sig's meetings but I don't think Linux was a
main focus. Visit http://www.pacsnet.org/sigs/unix/

A new LINUX SIG has formed with Joe Oakes as sigleader. They haven't set up
a web page yet.