Michael C Finn on Wed, 23 May 2001 21:50:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: PACS Meeting Saturday

From: "Michael C. Toren" <mct@netaxs.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2001 6:53 PM
> Do you know offhand if the PACS Magpie system is still live?  I tried
> dialing the old phone number, but it now goes to a voicemail message
> which hands out the new website address.

Hi, Mike.

You'll remember me as the assistant sysop, mfinn, on pacs.pha.pa.us. PACS
BBS was running an early version of SCO Xenix on a 486 low MHz (30?) CPU. It
was not Y2K compatible and the Board of Directors were not willing to pay to
upgrade since it had so few users. So it was turned off in January 2000. We
also turned off the stand alone voice mail system and of the 6 phone lines
we had, we kept just one, (215)842-9600 which is just voice mail from
Verizon. No one has programmed any mail boxes on it and as you said, it just
refers callers to the PACS home page at http://www.pacsnet.org/ .

PACS discontinued the paper Data Bus due to cost  and now publishes articles
by members on its web site, http://www.pacsnet.org/articles.htm .

Instead of the Magpie conferencing system, PACS tried a WEB conference and
then moved to a private members only Delphi forum. To be honest, that forum
is deader than the old PACS BBS Magpie message base.

I would hope that the new Linux SIG at PACS will make a WEB page like other
PACS SIGs have, and will throw in a link to PLUG.