gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 24 May 2001 14:20:12 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RedHat 7.1 glibc2.1 Backward compat - revisited

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 02:11:49PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> 	So finally, does this mean that if I recompile a kernel from
> sources w/ broken compiler and then install this, I can cleanly compile
> kernel?  I'm running rh right now and I all ready used broken compiler to
> compile all my homebrew sw.  If I change compiler do I need to do this
> again.

Probably not, because you probably haven't done anything fancy
enough to tickle the oddities, and you probably aren't interacting
with kernel data structures (which was built, and should be rebuilt,
using kgcc, which *should* have been installed by your distribution
CD).

(kgcc is just an older version of gcc, not some fancy hack RedHat
came up with.)

You CANNNOT, so far as I understand, recompile a kernel from sources
using the default gcc in RedHat 7.0. That is, gcc will encounter
errors that are not, in fact, errors. It's plausible that that's
changed in 7.1. I don't know. I don't use RedHat at all.

You CAN recompile a kernel with kgcc, and it will work fine... and
then, if you feel worried that your software will be mis-parsed by
the 2.96 version of gcc (extremely unlikely, but not impossible),
you can use kgcc for your own software. (Um, then why don't you just
blow away gcc entirely? Because some of the headers on the system
relate to it and some of them--namely the kernel headers, which, I'm
told, come from a version of the kernel different than the one
actually installed by 7.0--apply to kgcc.)

Ideally, you'd just not install any of RedHat's development
equipment, go get the gcc 2.95.3 sources, and bootstrap it yourself
(as I recall, gcc comes with instructions on how to do this). Having
watched that be done on a Solaris system, I assure that it's NO kind
of fun.

> I'm getting a headache all ready.

Remember my "Run like hell..." comment that started this all? That's
why.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net