Jason Costomiris on Fri, 25 May 2001 09:57:18 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RedHat 7.1 glibc2.1 Backward compat - revisited

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 12:39:01AM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
: gcc 2.96 does *not* pass regression tests to the last release of gcc
: 2.95.3, which is part of the reason that the FSF recommends we not
: use it.

I'd be interested in seeing why it failed.  If the failure is related to
it blowing up on bad code constructs, all bets are off.

: RedHat feels it necessary to include a separate (older) version of
: gcc to compile the kernel in their operating system. Name me another
: Unix-like operating system that has *ever* shipped with separate
: C (etcetera) compilers for userland and kernel use.

They did this once to work around a deficiency in the compiler which has
now been corrected.  On a RedHat 7.1 machine just last evening, I built
kernel 2.4.4.  No trouble at all.

: The fact that gcc 2.96 does *not* work for everything is sufficient
: reason not to include it.

What doesn't it work for?  We're still waiting for a specific example.

: Till
: Linux is up to the new C++ standard, it's just stupid to use a
: compiler that enforces that standard.

Maybe you're not aware, but Linux is not written in C++.  It's C and
ASM.  Linux distributions, on the other hand may include components written
in C++, in which case, it's up to them what their distribution provides
from a standards perspective.  By your own logic, RedHat should not be
flogged because of including gcc 2.96.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.